Since I was a child I always felt attracted by the human body and the way it moves; the way it makes visible our own vital energy and emotions.
This interest has directed my study as an adult and has led me to pursue:
- a Bachelor in Sciences of Sports and Physical Activities, from the Universidad Politecnica in Madrid
- a Diploma in Therapeutic and Sports Massage
and eventually, at the age of 23…
- Contemporary Dance study at RCPD Mariemma, Madrid, graduating in 2006.
Since 2006 I have been developing my career as a dance performer and teacher having worked with several companies and choreographers as a freelance artist.
Nowadays I ́m working together with Cocoondance Company (Bonn, GERMANY /SWITZERLAND) and Daniel Abreu Company (Madrid, SPAIN) as well as developing personal projects internationally prized and toured (South America, North America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Oceania)
– “Entomo” ÁlvaroEsteban&ElíasAguirre collaboration
– “Cualquier mañana” LauraAris&Álvaro Esteban collaboration
In my classes and workshops I want to share what I have learnt, experienced and observed that helped (and still helps) me to grow as a performer.
From that premise of sharing tools, I do not develop a specific codified technique, but rather I focus on the body, building from the body and giving it the attention that we take away too often.
The tools I am working with are:
– Conscious use of body weight to discover our own way of moving. When we are aware of the use of our weight, we start to discover our own path according to bone structure. Instead of trying to copy movement, we move from our body.
– Mobility of the spine. Personally, I love the movement ability of the spine, the images it can evoke and how it complements the movement of hips and shoulders.
– Consciousness of individual imagery and the use of it in our favor. I have felt always an instinctive attraction for movement that can be found in nature: animals, wind, oceans, storms, trees … all these images have helped me to generate different qualities of movement without intending to narrate. The idea is that everyone discovers their personal imagery and how it affects/helps them in movement.
– Animal/instinctive energy and emotions. Observing and being aware of how it affects our movement when we play with different emotions, basic instincts and bringing awareness to the physical transformation that occurs.
– Group movement. To work on perception of the other and the space in a compact or wide spread group. Training ourselves to respond and relate to our environment. Understanding where the group energy is moving and which role one plays in it.
Deepening the knowledge of oneself to open up to other possibilities of movement. Training self awareness to be able to visit other places from this base.
I have always been fascinated by the body’s ability, through concious presence, to communicate even without moving or talking.